Wednesday, February 23, 2011

1960's Magazines

I went into the magazine store we have in university to take a look at some primary research from the 1960's although there was only three magazines from the 60's I could find, they were in fact really helpful.

I looked at a general womans magazine at the time, which had some articles in it which really shocked me to see, as to one about taking the contraception pill when it first cam in, and the awareness in checking yourselves for breast cancer. This is not something I expected to see in a magazine from the sixties but it gives you an idea as to what the decade was like.

I also photographed and documented a textile magazine, which had some really interesting knit patterns init and tips for doing things yourself, which I can imagine would have been very popular as they were in a depression after the war. Where as the fashion magazine had the look and feel of a regular magazine, I enjoyed looking at the images of fashion shoots and popular designers of the times.

Key designers that came apparent were:

Mary Quant
Marcel Fenez
Barbara Hulanicki
Kurt Geiger
Maurice of Modern
Etam


Below are some of the strong imagery I collected from the magazines that I felt were very influential.
















No comments:

Post a Comment